|Privileged group:||how would YOU like it if we did this to you|
|Prvivleged group:||*has been doing this to you for years*|
|black person:||*says something factual about racism in the U.S./world|
|white people:||you're being racist against white people...you can't fight hate with hate...etc.|
|random white person:||*says exact same shit*|
|white people:||wow, i never thought of it that way but you're absolutely right.|
We had a lot of trouble with western mental health workers who came here immediately after the genocide and we had to ask some of them to leave.
They came and their practice did not involve being outside in the sun where you begin to feel better. There was no music or drumming to get your blood flowing again. There was no sense that everyone had taken the day off so that the entire community could come together to try to lift you up and bring you back to joy. There was no acknowledgement of the depression as something invasive and external that could actually be cast out again.
Instead they would take people one at a time into these dingy little rooms and have them sit around for an hour or so and talk about bad things that had happened to them. We had to ask them to leave."
How you can help:
- Native Women’s Association of Canada
- Native Womens Resource Centre of Toronto
- Ontario Native Womens Association - ONWA
- Native Women’s Transition Centre Inc. - Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Spirit of Canada: Celebrating Aboriginal Culture
- Native American Women’s Health Education Resource Center
- Minnesota Indian Women’s Resource Center
- National Indigenous Women’s Resource Center
- Sacred Circle: Empowering a Generation of young Aboriginal leaders
- Mending the Sacred Hoop
- White Bison Wellbriety Medicine Wheel and Recovery
- First Nation’s Women’s Alliance
You can also help by educating others on how the sexy native/pocahottie Halloween costumes are detrimental to the image of Native women and how it leads to sexual violence. -G